[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

jack j.jack.wang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:12:30 UTC 2009

David,

You assumed right. I did start with a USB emulated port. The GPS I
bought is from U-Blox and it has both USB and serial output. The
serial output has the 1PPS signal (with an LED indicator). I thought I
would start with the USB output since it's rather hard to find a
computer with a serial port. Also I would like to see the accuracy by
using the USB port only. I later switched to a machine with a serial
port and started using the serial output of the U-Blox GPS device and
1PPS. My objective is to use two of these devices to sync two separate
computers to within ms so they can share time-sensitive data (time
stamped).

I left the device running overnight and I noticed it computed an
offset at one time. It's currently not updating (everything is zero
now). I will read carefully what Dave Hart said and follow his advice.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Jack