[ntp:questions] Remaining synced on an unsynchronised peer?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 30 22:12:51 UTC 2009

Michael Butow wrote:
> Gilbert,
>
> I know that NTPD is aware of losing contact, the points you are making
> are correct, but they do not help me further with the issue at hand.
>
> My actual question was: why does one of my hosts remain synchronised
> (seemingly forever) on its peer which is not synchronised (status
> sync_unspec)?

I don't know.  I suspect it may be a bug in NTPD.  You'll need to ask
someone more familiar with the code than I am.

Are you aware that two servers is the worst possible configuration?  It
is written that a man with two clocks can never be certain what time it
is.  Four, five, and seven are the magic numbers of servers required to
survive the failure of one, two, and three servers respectively.