[ntp:questions] Strange NTP problem on AMD Geode LX cards.

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun Oct 4 08:57:09 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:

>>> In my experience with ntpd "warm restarts" have never been a problem.
>>
>>> YMMV

>>> There is no policy of denial.
>>
>> There have been extensive discussions on the slow convergence of ntp,
>> and David Mills has been adamant that the current algorithm will not
>> change, and that the slow convergence is a feature that will also not
>> change.  It is I agree not a policy of denial. It is a policy of "that's
>> not a bug, its a feature".
>>

> It's a feature!  Learn to live with it or write your own NTPD.  Dr.
> Mills is unlikely to change his mind!  Chrony and perhaps other products
> may come closer to meeting your requirements.

My statement "It seems that the official standpoint is to ignore or deny
these problems" was meant to point in this direction, but apparently my
bad English idiom was again misunderstood.

> One relatively easy solution is to keep NTPD running 24x7.  If you can't
> or won't do that, NTPD is a poor choice for your requirements!

I am talking about problems at startup time.  Even when you keep NTPD
running 24x7 you have to start it at some time.  That is not a smooth
operation.  But that problem is denied or ignored.