[ntp:questions] Fudge time offset on client/peer?

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Fri Oct 16 05:05:44 UTC 2009

> you might experiment with the new interleaved mode to see how it
> handles the asymmetry.  You could peer your home and work refclock
> ntpds . . . .

Actually, I tried that some time back, but it didn't help a bit.

I eventually came to understand that "xleave" mode is designed to
reduce the effect of processing delays inside a server's network
stack.  Sadly, it doesn't do a thing to alleviate asymmetries.

Indeed, my current impression (someone please correct me if I'm
wrong!) is that NTP is *inherently incapable* of measuring (or even
detecting) network latency asymmetries -- the NTP protocol assumes
that traffic "comes" and "goes" with equal speed, and it has no way
to detect situations in which this is not true.

Rich Wales  /  richw at richw.org  /  richw at stanford.edu
Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales
Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/richwales