[ntp:questions] testing slew only mode (-x), not slewing correctly (linux sles10, ntpd v 4.1.1)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 01:43:02 UTC 2009

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>> It is the database people who require monotonic time.
>> Transaction logic implied databases.
>>> If there is an "official policy line" it is that any
>>>  system with a clock which drifts past the step threshold
>>>  is fundamentally flawed.
>
> I guess I could see 10 minutes (or more) if the time had
>  never been set to anything reasonable;  However 10 minutes
>  seems really far out for something that was previously
>  syncing with NTP servers (or any other source of time).

I don't see what "previously synching" has to do with anything.
If previously synching means three weeks ago, it's meaningless!
If it means thirty minutes ago, I would expect the clock to be
within a few milliseconds of the correct time.  If not I would
regard the clock as broken!  I'm assuming reasonably constant temperature!

<snip>