[ntp:questions] suggestion

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Oct 27 15:17:42 UTC 2009

gizero wrote:

> When first thinking about the time sync problem, I was pleased to
> learn that ntpd was able to handle the time data from the GPS as a
> special time source, together with gpsd daemon. So I thought of using
> it instead of any sort of cronjob calling ntpdate to step the clock.

If you're planning on using gpsd with a Garmin receiver, make sure you
use version 2.39 or later. Previous versions probably won't work. The
NMEA sentences were coming out on my 16x-HVS more than 500ms away from
the PPS, and this caused it to not use the PPS value.

I verified by source inspection that the issue was fixed in version 2.39.

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar