[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.5p239-RC Released

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 09:15:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM, David Woolley wrote:
> Could I suggest limiting release candidates to one a week.

Please, suggest away :)

> Very few
> people will have time to deal with them in less than about a week.

Such folks should pick up the latest RC once a week, then.  Meanwhile,
those who are able to test more frequently are not waiting a week for
a fix to test.  Many of the recent fixes have been verified by the bug
reporter less than a day after the release containing the fix.

> I'd deduce from the large number of recent "release candidates" that the
> code is actually some way from being ready to release.

Given sufficient incentive, I could find a new reason to not release
ntpd every day.  The question I keep in mind, however, is how much
better is what we have than the current ntp-stable?  As we approach
4.2.4's third birthday, I think the answer is "a heck of a lot"
already.  I had no changes today because I knew of nothing blocking
the release of 4.2.6 aside from sntp documentation Harlan is working
on, so I'd deduce we're getting close.

Cheers,
Dave Hart