[ntp:questions] question regarding NTP configuration for clusters, and "cluster time" stability

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Tue Sep 29 19:11:07 UTC 2009

Harlan Stenn writes:
> If correct time is really important, why not run an inexpensive S1
> device locally?

It seems clear that for his application correct time is not very
important at all.  It is close synchronization of the cluster members
that matters.  This is really a different problem than the one NTP is
aimed at, though it obviously can be used to solve it.  I can imagine
protocols that would enable a cluster of peers to converge to a common
time, but a (very) brief search doesn't turn up much.  This probably
means that I just don't know the right search terms.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill