[ntp:questions] FreeBSD or Windows-7 - which to install first?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Apr 4 05:41:59 UTC 2010

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:j_-dnZcE1K2v6CrWnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
> It has been something like eight years since I last did something like
> this.  IIRC, I installed windows first and allocated ~1/2 the available
> disk space to Windows.  I then installed Solaris 8.
>
> YMMV!

"David Lord" <snews at lordynet.org> wrote in message
news:81ppt7F7fnU1 at mid.individual.net...
[]
> If installing both from scratch I'd put FreeBSD on first as I'm
> assuming you're not having full Gnome or KDE desktops so install
> should be quick. If Windows messes it up you haven't lost much.
> Downside is you might need to reinstall/update FreeBSD to get
> both systems bootable.
>

> David

Richard, David,

Thank you both for your comments and different suggestions!  I get the
system next week so I'll let you know what I do and how I get on.  I may
well try Windows-7 first, and get NTP working with the serial GPS/PPS
reference as I've had more recent experience with that setup.  It might
also highlight anything "nasty" in the Intel Atom BIOS like power-saving
or unwanted clock frequency stepping.

One awful thought I've had is whether I'll need to leave the keyboard
plugged in to get the BIOS to boot!  I seem to recall tales of "Keyboard
missing - press F1 to continue"!  <G>

This is the motherboard:
  http://www.intel.com/cd/products/services/emea/eng/motherboards/desktop/D410PT/overview/435214.htm

Cheers,