[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 13 06:42:57 UTC 2010

> ntpq -p
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
> offset  jitter
> *ntpgmtaceb      .1PPS.           1 u   20   64  377    0.144
> -0.373   0.863
>
> So it's seems to be really better, isn't it?

If that is good enough for you, then the problem is solved.  On my own
LAN, where I wanted to improve the performance of the Windows-based NTP
clients, I reduced the poll interval in the ntp.conf:

server  ntpgmtaceb  iburst  maxpoll 5

This will make the client contact the server once every 32 seconds (2^^5),
but that's no great load on either server, LAN or client.  The "iburst"
will speed up the initial sync.

Cheers,
David