[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Wed Apr 14 10:18:12 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Uwe Klein" <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote in message
> news:iibg97-iiv.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
> []
>
>> There are these nice little USB Adapters available for small money
>> that provide a 40pin/44pin pata and an sata interface and come with
>> a "fitting" powersupply. ( forex : Digitus DA-70148-1 )
>>
>> Very usefull for systems that have been reduced to USB only.
>> the SuSE install is rather refined these days.
>>
>> uwe
>

> Thanks, Uwe.  Yes, that might have been another approach - I can imagine
> a USB DVD drive being quite handy.  I haven't seen that particular
> device before - very neat!  On checking, though, it only says it
> supports HDD and not CD/DVD drives.

it does, at least with bios access ( for booting) or a linux kernel
  ( for the installed system later on ).

I have found that the only thing they balk on
are "flash disks" with IDE interface for (pc104) embedded systems.
Like:	http://www.dpie.com/storage/chipdisk.html
Aside from needing a male/male 44pin adapter
slave access on that bus returns absurd information.
something that probably could be worked around with
some determination applied.
( My idea at the time was loading up a flash disk with
a complete system on my workbox and then just move it over
to the embedded system. I dumped the flash disk and replaced
them with a run of the mill CF Card ( that can actually behave
like an ide drive too). works well and happens to be a lot
cheaper too ;-)

uwe