[ntp:questions] can ntp update the H/W clock

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 19 00:53:32 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-16, J. Bakshi <joydeep at infoservices.in> wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I have configured ntp on two remote servers a weak ago. since then the
> system time of those servers has become accurate :-) I wonder if there
> is any option so that ntp also syn the H/W clock with the correct time.
> ( so no manual execution of hwclock )

No. ntp does not have anything to do with the rtc. chrony does, but ntp
does not.
You do not say which operating system you are using. Most Linux distros
will automatically run hwclock to get the time from teh RTC on bootup,
and to set the RTC on shutdown. Linux can also be set up so that the rtc
is reset every 11 min (a mode of operation that short circuits the
ability of both chrony and hwclock to determine and correct for the
drift in the rtc clock). (That has nothing to do with ntp, but is a part
of the kernel timekeeping routines).