[ntp:questions] NTP on small 100% Linux LAN : reasonable access control policy ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Aug 2 11:18:02 UTC 2010

"Niki Kovacs" <mickey at mouse.com> wrote in message
news:4c567a3d$0$24091$426a74cc at news.free.fr...
[]
> 1) I'm trying to impress my girlfriend by typing loads of unnecessary
> restrict statements in my ntp.conf.
>
> 2) I'm desperately trying to get rid of a compulsive obsessional
> disorder, and I thought this USENET group would be helpful.
>
> 3) I'm new to NTP, and after having read through a few tutorials, I'm
> vaguely thinking about security (like : limiting access to local
> services), so I thought I asked on this list.
>
> Choose your answer :o)
>
> Cheers from the rainy South of France,
>
> Niki

Niki,

(1) is a great goal!  I think you fail on (2).

For (3), on the LAN here, I've never used any security restriction on NTP,
not on any of my portable PCs used on public networks.  I may have been
protected, though by being behind NAT routers, and I've never set up any
port forwarding rules for UDP packets on port 123.  On the other hand, I
don't have any untrustworthy users on that LAN either.

Cheers,
David