[ntp:questions] Trouble with XP IPv6 ntp client (local interface currently not bound)

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Aug 5 03:34:07 UTC 2010

On 8/4/2010 6:50 PM, Cindy Huyser wrote:
> Hoping that one of you that has worked with getting Windows XP to act
> as an NTP client over IPv6 can help me out on this one. I'm running
> Windows XP Pro SP3 on a system that will be getting its time from a
> Linux box, which also serves time to another Linux box. The IPv6 time
> service is working fine between the Linux client and the Linux server.
> The three systems are not connected to the Internet. I have the
> following configuration file for my Windows NTP client:
>
> restrict default ignore
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict -6 ::1
>
> driftfile       "C:\Windows\Temp\ntp.drift"
> broadcastdelay  0.008
>
> logfile         "C:\Windows\Temp\ntp.log"
>
> server -6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe0c:9094%4 minpoll 4 maxpoll 5 iburst prefer
> restrict -6 fe80::20c:29ff:fe0c:9094%4 nomodify notrap noquery

When you are debugging something like this, comment out all restrict
statements to ensure it's not preventing you from receiving the NTP
packets. Among other things the restrict default ignore stops all
packets even though you reenable packets for your server later. It may
not be recognized.

> With the ntp4.2.6p2 Windows debug binaries from Dave Hart's site on my
> system, I start ntpd:
>
> C:\Program Files\NTP\bin>ntpd -g -M -n -D 3 -c "c:\program files\ntp
> \etc\ntp.conf"

Use -D4 instead of -D3 to ensure that it puts out the packets that have
been received.

> ntpd 4.2.6p2-o Jul 09 4:44:44.34 (UTC-00:00) 2010  (1)

[snip]

> I can see that the client is failing to sync to the server because of
> the line "newpeer: local interface currently not bound," but I'm at a
> loss as to how to resolve this issue. I am able to ping the IPv6
> address of the server successfully from the XP box, and to use ssh2 to
> send commands to the Linux box using its IPv6 address. If anyone would
> have suggestions on how I might resolve this, I'd be very grateful.

Also make sure that your box's firewall allows the packets through. I
don't remember why you would get that error. What is the evidence that
the client is not synching? The SetSystemTimeAdjustment() lines indicate
that it is synching. what does the ntpq -p output look like?

Danny