[ntp:questions] synchronization distance

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Dec 3 18:11:23 UTC 2010

David L. Mills wrote:

> I'm confused about your explanation, especially the "default
> configuration". The definitive explanation of synchronization distance,

"default configuration" was talking about w32time.  w32time can end up
polling about once a week, and therefore reporting a root dispersion
that is well over a second.  I think, if it has ever been synchronised,
it will continue to report an increasing root dispersion and stratum 2,
even if it never gets any more updates.

Other aspects of the default configuration include the symmetric active
feature and a stratum that is 2, regardless of the source stratum.