[ntp:questions] synchronization distance

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Dec 4 20:25:38 UTC 2010

"David Woolley" <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote in message
news:ide3nn$6j7$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
[]
> To a large extent I would agree with you, but the net effect of this is
> to say "if you work for a marketing led company (probably true of most
> of the Fortune 500), do not use NTP as it is almost certain that your IT
> department has a strict Microsoft policy for their core systems, and are
> not time synchronisation experts".

When I worked in industry this was absolutely not the case.  We used a
mixture of Microsoft and UNIX systems, according to the particular need of
the application.  Many of the electronics designers used UNIX systems for
CAD, although the mechanical design was largely VMS-based.  PCs performed
many office tasks, and were moving into the design areas both in their own
right and as X-terminals to other systems.  Major servers, such as those
providing Internet and Intranet facilities tended to be UNIX-based and ran
NTP.  The PC-server systems all ran "official" NTP as well - i.e. not
Microsoft.

I would be surprised if Fortune 500 companies restricted themselves only
to Microsoft for their core systems.

Cheers,
David