[ntp:questions] synchronization distance

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun Dec 5 09:26:16 UTC 2010

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> David L. Mills wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I'm not making myself absolutely crystal clear and you are obscuring the
>> point.
>>
>> Windows has an awesome protocol that sets the time. It happens to use
>> the NTP packet header format, but is not otherwise compliant with the
>> NTPv4 specification, especially the 36-h poll interval limitation, which
>> is an engineering parameter based on the expected wander of a commodity
>> crystal oscillator. All that doesn't matter at all, other than Windows
>> servers are compatible with Windows clients. What does matter is that
>> Windows servers are NOT compatible with NTPv4 clients, which SHOULD NOT
>> BE USED. Use one of the SNTP variants instead.
>
> To a large extent I would agree with you, but the net effect of this is
> to say "if you work for a marketing led company (probably true of most
> of the Fortune 500), do not use NTP as it is almost certain that your IT
> department has a strict Microsoft policy for their core systems, and are
> not time synchronisation experts".

When that is true, what is the problem with it?
Microsoft's time protocols serve the needs of Microsoft systems for
timing well enough.
Why would you want to use a NTPv4 reference implementation on a Microsoft
system?
In your world, installing a third-party product to perform a function
that is already available in the Microsoft install is probably not
allowed anyway...