[ntp:questions] synchronization distance

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Dec 4 21:55:34 UTC 2010

At 02:10 PM 12/4/2010, David Woolley wrote...
>To a large extent I would agree with you, but the net effect of this
>is to say "if you work for a marketing led company (probably true of
>most of the Fortune 500), do not use NTP as it is almost certain that
>your IT department has a strict Microsoft policy for their core
>systems, and are not time synchronisation experts".

Your complaint is misplaced. NTPv4 is well defined, see RFC 5905 (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5905 ). The RFC states "In NTPv4, tau
ranges from 4 (16 s) to 17 (36 h)." Just as with many previous
things-MS, they've gone their own way, and are not following the
specification. They simply don't play well with others. Not following
the specifications (like using an improper addr-spec such as
"david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid" in an RFC 822 message) breaks things.

Whether MS does that deliberately (Java) or ignorantly (NTP, and I'm
giving them the benefit of the doubt here), it is what it is.
Complaints should be directed to Microsoft.