[ntp:questions] NTP client with ability to write Windows NT system time to hardware clock?

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Sat Dec 11 22:21:56 UTC 2010

David Woolley wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>> On 2010-12-11, Jan Ceuleers <janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be> wrote:
>>> Piece of feedback below.
>
>>> There's no way I'm going to read all that. If you have a question for
>>> us, please can you put it a little more succinctly? Thanks.

Actually, I /did/ write my question succinctly at the end of my post.

>> To summarize as I understand it-- how do you keep the RTC
>> synced to the "true time" under Windows? (System running ntp so assume
>> that the system time is the "true time").
>
> He wants the RTC to contain UTC, even though Windows isn't in the GMT
> timezone with DST disabled. Windows normally stores the system wall
> clock time.

My RTC already runs in UTC, but my RTC is approximately 2 minutes behind
because I have no way of writing the Windows NT system time to the
hardware clock (RTC) after using an NTP client to synchronise the
Windows NT system time.  On Ubuntu, I use ntpdate-debian + hwclock, but
I cannot find a real hwclock for Windows NT, only malware which uses the
name hwclock.exe as a disguise.  I need an hwclock.exe application for
Windows NT so I can run “hwclock --utc --systohc” like on Ubuntu.  I am
asking in this group because I thought someone may know of an NTP client
for Windows NT with this functionality, now that Microsoft has finally
fully fixed support for RealTimeIsUniversal=1 beginning in Windows Vista
SP2 + Windows 7.

My original post (and this reply too) make perfect sense to me, but I
suspect my readers did not have all of the required background knowledge.

If you are not already familiar with Windows NT’s RealTimeIsUniversal
registry key, please read
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html>.

If you are not already familiar with the hwclock command from the
util-linux(-ng) package, please read
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/hwclock.8.html>.