[ntp:questions] Problem troubleshooting gps/pps on freebsd 8.1

Peter S pst at telia.com
Thu Dec 16 04:02:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

I want to configure a server that uses a garmin gps with pps to
discipline the clock. I've basically used this as a guide:
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145

The gps is connected to the serial port and the pps signal to dcd. I
run ntpd 4.2.6p2 and freebsd 8.1.

I can simply not get the nmea reference clock to work and I don't know
how to troubleshoot it.

This server will not have access to the internet when I get everything
to work but for testing it will sync to the internet servers but never
to the gps.

[root@ ~]# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
offset  jitter
 GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l    -   16    0    0.000
0.000   0.000

Running ntpd -d I see this so I guess ntpd sees the gps:

nmea: gpsread 70 $GPRMC,033730,A,5926.7899,N,01758.1371,E,
000.3,339.3,161210,004.0,E*72
nmea: gpsread 66 $GPGGA,033730,5926.7899,N,01758.1371,E,
1,05,2.4,32.4,M,23.3,M,,*7A

Any ideas where I should start?

Thanks,
Peter