[ntp:questions] I-D Action:draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-01.txt (fwd)

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Sun Dec 19 06:54:58 UTC 2010

In article <4D0D8922.30302 at ntp.org>, Danny Mayer  <mayer at ntp.org> wrote:
>On 12/18/2010 4:22 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>     Hello ntp-team ,  Am hopeful that all of you are aware of this item
>> of news .
>>         Hth , JimL
>
>Discussion of IETF documents really belong in the working group but in
>this case timezone stuff is not something that NTP cares about since it
>only deals with UTC. It is of course of interest to admins. It is not
>clear what working group would discuss this and this is a personal
>submission so it is hard to tell.

It is being actively discussed on the tz mailing list, where the
timezone mavens hang out.  This proposal was precipitated by the
impending retirement of Arthur Olson, the current maintainer of the
timezone database.  As you say, NTP doesn't need to concern itself
with it, but many administrators of NTP servers must also deal with
the mess that governments make of local time.  Those who are
interested should join the tz mailing list.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wollman at bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program