[ntp:questions] multicast mode

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 21:11:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 14:57 UTC, Atul Gupta <atul14.kumar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On my client i have 3 interfaces and i want to listen the multicast response
> from server only on selected interface, currently only interface which has
> default route is receiving the multicast messages from server.
> Is there any option in multicast configuration, where i can bind specific
> interface to listen the multicast.

No, there's not.  ntpd on most systems listens to multicast by using a
separate socket bound to the multicast address.  The exception is on
Windows.  Unless you're using Windows, you can't control which
underlying interfaces are enabled to receive multicast, simply because
the multicast is not arriving on a socket bound to a specific local
address, but instead on one bound to the multicast address.

I suggest trying the latest ntp-dev snapshot, which has quite a few
multicast-related fixes.

Good luck,
Dave Hart