[ntp:questions] Problem building ntp in an rev. controlled environment

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:42:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 15:58 UTC, bombjack <bombjack99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are ntp as part of building checking file dates or
> something? Because that is the only thing that changes when I put
> files under version control.

Yes, the relative timestamps of files matter when building from
source.  There are quite a few files which are generated by tools
which are not intended to be required to build from a tarball, such as
Bison and Autogen.  The tarballs' timestamps are carefully arranged so
the makefiles will not attempt to build those generated files, because
their timestamps are newer than the files they are built from.

Your best bet is to ensure you have Automake 1.10 or newer and
Autoconf 2.65 or newer installed, then use the ./bootstrap script to
reset the timestamps before committing to version control.  With a
little luck, then, those timestamps will be correct in a fresh
checkout, and if not, use ./bootstrap again.

Cheers,
Dave Hart

FYI this might be better suited to hackers at lists.ntp.org.