[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM
Sun Feb 14 17:28:24 UTC 2010

>>> We use our one of our data centers internal default gateway (Router).
>>> Everything feeds off of that.
>>> It had best work well. It was $100K +.
>>>
>> So what benefit is that $100K extra stratum gaining you? It has to be
>> more than just splitting the UDP/IP path to the lower stratum servers
>> in twain. But it's not reliability, because if your router goes down
>> it still takes your NTP server with it. So what is it? Do you perhaps
>> synchronize everything with that machine directly, without the usual
>> Windows Time Service hierarchy in between?
>>
> Perhaps your cheap router (and I'm saying this because you mentioned
> as few posts ago) has redundant hardware like these one have, or
> perhaps your backplane (BTW: do you know what backplane your router
> has??!!) supports the amount of traffic that these ones supports, or
> perhaps can active support with low SLAs or perhaps you can have
> redundant configuration, or perhaps... Ops... I just noticed, perhaps
> you don't have a clue what I'm talking about!!!

What you're talking about has nothing to do with the questions that I
asked M. Bergson, or even with what M. Bergson said that prompted them.
Please actually follow the conversation. We're talking about the extra
stratum, here, not routing.