[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Feb 16 07:48:28 UTC 2010

David Lord wrote:

> Systems seem heavily overloaded.
>
> My 3G mobile broadband has seconds of latency whilst initiating
> connections, that is how the system works, maybe 10 seconds, but

That's likely to be result of the power management design, not of overload.

Firstly, mobile phone never transmit completely uninvited.

Secondly any one phone is only addressed at intervals. In terms of
received calls, this means that the phone can go into a very low power
mode for the rest of the time.  In terms of originate calls, it means
the phone has to wait its turn before it can send the call request.