[ntp:questions] Synchronization and Non-Synchronization status

Sat Feb 20 03:27:32 UTC 2010

<http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/miscopt.html#trap>

> The trap utility would not be very usable for me.
>  For one thing we do not have perl on the systems we are working with.

Write one in whatever language you want, for whatever platform you want?
<http://www.cis.udel.edu/~mills/database/rfc/rfc1305/rfc1305c.pdf>
 See 2.1. NTP Control Message Format, (Mode 6 packet)
 Op Code 6 set trap address/port command/response & Op Code 7 trap response

> Secondly, and please correct me if I am wrong, I am not
>  sure that it actually generates a trap for a sync lost
>  kind of event.

 ... Trap Response (7): This message is sent when a system, peer or clock exception event occurs ...
   If a system trap the association identifier field is set to zero
    and the status field contains the system status word.
   If a peer trap the association identifier field is set to that peer
    and the status field contains the peer status word.

   either System Status Word
     Leap Indicator (LI): 11 alarm condition (clock not synchronized)
            Clock Source: ...
       System Event Code:
                          1 system restart
                          2 system or hardware fault
                          3 system new status word (leap bits or synchronization change)
                          4 system new synchronization source or stratum (sys.peer or sys.stratum change)
                          5 system clock reset (offset correction exceeds CLOCK.MAX)
                          6 system invalid time or date (see NTP specification)
                          7 system clock exception (see system clock status word)

   or Peer Status Word
             Peer Status: 3 reachability okay (peer.reach not 0)
    Peer Selection (Sel): 5 current synchronization source; max distance exceeded
                          6 current synchronization source; max distance okay
         Peer Event Code:
                          1 peer IP error
                          2 peer authentication failure (peer.authentic bit was one now zero)
                          3 peer unreachable (peer.reach was nonzero now zero)
                          4 peer reachable (peer.reach was zero now nonzero)
                          5 peer clock exception (see peer clock status word)

  will be added to the BlackLists.