[ntp:questions] Client doesn't drop failed source

Tue Jan 12 00:00:29 UTC 2010

On 1/11/2010 2:24 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> BlackLists wrote:
>> I see nothing "wrong" with having several, {I've done it}
>>  as long as it is understood that are always included in
>>  the combining algorithm and don't get discarded.  AFAICT
>
> Nothing is guaranteed when you go outside the specification.
> Another possible implementation is to stop looking once you
>  find the first prefer peer.

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/prefer.html#prefer>
"... The prefer option designates one or more survivors as
  preferred over all others. While the rules do not forbid it,
  it is usually not useful to designate more than one source
  as preferred; however, if more than one source is so designated,
  they are used in the order specified in the configuration file;
  that is, if the first one becomes unselectable, the second one
  is considered and so forth. ..."

  will be added to the BlackLists.