[ntp:questions] NTP servers redundancy

jthu at free.fr jthu at free.fr
Mon Jan 18 12:01:01 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

for a ship project, we've got a LAN with two NTP servers synchronised by a masterclock, itself synchronized by GPS.
The idea was to have redundancy between the 2 servers, to ensure continuous synchronization to the clients in case one of the server went down.

I wonder now if the dual NTP source architecture is the good one :

Is the "clock hopping" resulting of this dual architecture a real problem ??

Does the NTP algorithm enable that when a server go down (or is no more synchronized), its clients switch easily to the second one, without any visible synchronization interruption ??

Will it be "transparent" for the clients when the first server will be back ?

How shall be the clients configured for this architecture ??

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jean