[ntp:questions] NTP servers redundancy

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Jan 18 23:20:52 UTC 2010

jthu at free.fr wrote:

> Does the NTP algorithm enable that when a server go down (or is no
> more synchronized), its clients switch easily to the second one,
> without any visible synchronization interruption ??

ntpd doesn't normally use a worker-standby model (it may if you use
prefer more than once, although that is an abnormal configuration).  It
is more like load sharing in that it uses the time from all the
currently valid servers to discipline the clock.  This should be true
for any other NTP client, but I'm not sure how w32time behaves.