[ntp:questions] NTP servers redundancy

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Jan 19 21:46:09 UTC 2010

>The fundamental problem with two servers is this: which one do you
>believe when the two differ?  You know that at least one of the two must
>be wrong but it's impossible to determine WHICH one!

You get more than time from a packet exchange.  You also get
a good idea of the accuracy.  Two clocks can give (slightly)
different answers without either being wrong.  If that happens
you can use either one.

The problem is that IF they give wildly different answers
(perhaps because one of them is broken) THEN you don't know
which one is good.