[ntp:questions] Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 25 08:07:31 UTC 2010

"Evandro Menezes" <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:b3618b89-24cd-44a9-8e25-78887d18e710 at f12g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 21, 2:52 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.delete-
> this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> BTW: I still have systems running which are older than Core2, one still
>> has
>> an Intel PIII 550MHz (and keeps good time as a stratum-1 server with
>> Windows 2000).
>
> I guess that it would qualify for a low-power processor these days, so
> who cares about managing its power and messing with its TSC?
>
> ;-)

Low-power in what sense?  Work done, or watts consumed?  <G>

I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system running
NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version.  Something the
size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS.  Looking for better
than (say) ten microsecond accuracy.  About US $100-150.

Cheers,
David