[ntp:questions] Timekeeping broken on Windows XP with multimedia timer enabled (-M option)

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Mon Jan 25 08:28:10 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Evandro Menezes" <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote in message
> news:b3618b89-24cd-44a9-8e25-78887d18e710 at f12g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
>
>> On Jan 21, 2:52 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.delete-
>> this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> BTW: I still have systems running which are older than Core2, one
>>> still has
>>> an Intel PIII 550MHz (and keeps good time as a stratum-1 server with
>>> Windows 2000).
>>

>> I guess that it would qualify for a low-power processor these days, so
>> who cares about managing its power and messing with its TSC?
>>
>> ;-)
>

> Low-power in what sense?  Work done, or watts consumed?  <G>
>
> I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system
> running NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version.
> Something the size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS.
> Looking for better than (say) ten microsecond accuracy.  About US $100-150.

Unpack and Work or Fiddle a Bit ?

For Fiddle a Bit:
There is a wide spectrum of hardware available.
Take any of the Low Cost Thin clients ( Linux on ARM )
Take any of the "InternetRadio" sets ( same, Linux on ARM )

Take any of the Low Cost Router/WlanAccessPoint Hardware that
can have OpenWRT or similar installed. ( Linux on usually ARM )
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions
Some even have ntpd in their package repository ;-)

uwe