[ntp:questions] Change reference clock soon after DCF-signal is lost

Matuschka, Sebastian Sebastian.Matuschka at gcd-solutions.de
Thu Jul 8 08:19:45 UTC 2010

Hi,
i'm new here and have a question I couldn't answer by myself by
searching the internet and reading the documentation for hours.
I have a DCF77 Clock connected to the UART. The line in the ntp.conf
looks like this:
server 127.127.8.0 mode 5 prefer
Receiving the time works, but when I disconnect the DCF77-Receiver from
the UART, ntpq -p says that ntpd still synchronizes with it for minutes
(about 4), until it changes to another clock.
I want that the ntpd changes the synchronization source as soon as no
signal is received for a few seconds.
How can I achieve this?
The only thing that does something similar, that I can imagine, are the
minpoll maxpoll parameters.
But even then (setting them to 4) it will take up to 16 seconds until
the reference source is changed, correct?

Best Regards
Sebastian