[ntp:questions] Change reference clock soon afterDCF-signalislost

Matuschka, Sebastian Sebastian.Matuschka at gcd-solutions.de
Fri Jul 16 10:52:29 UTC 2010

>I think you mean that you have a 1PPS source that is synchronized to
>DCF-77 but does not send the actual received DCF-77 signal.
>In that case it should be OK to use it to increment a clock.

No, it really is a DCF-77 signal.

>However, when you have expectations that you can control what source
>is used to sync your clock, and how quickly that switches, you cannot
>use ntpd.  It does not offer that control.

I don't want to control what source is used, just how fast it is switched when the signal is lost.
minpoll and maxpoll seem to control that, and i guess i just need smaller maxpoll than the one that is allowed.

I have set minpoll to 4 and maxpoll to 5. After the signal is lost it takes 3 to 4 minutes to switch to another source.
Why does it take so long when maxpoll is 5 (32 seconds)? How many times must a poll fail until the source is expected to be unrecoverrable for now?

Best Regards
Sebastian