[ntp:questions] Maximum time2 fudge value for NMEA refclock?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jul 20 09:26:36 UTC 2010

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:i23pmn$d32$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
> "Rhys" <user at mailinator.org> wrote in message
> news:MPG.26b01082c6206af6989680 at news.optusnet.com.au...
> []
>> I'm amazed it quickly converges, using separate NMEA and PPS on mine,
>> with the correct offset, and correct drift file, its an hour or 2
>> before
>> it finishes going 500ppm/step/500ppm/step.
>
> With a standard NTP system, either with a LAN sync-source, or a
> single-connector NMEA/PPS source on either Windows or FreeBSD I've not
> seen that sort of behaviour.
[]

Perhaps I should have added that I have seen something similar when there
was a spurious leap second announcement from just one server, and one of
my NTPs got out of step.  So your NTP could be oscillating between one
second and the next.  I recall needing to delete the drift file as part of
solving that one.

Cheers,
David