[ntp:questions] Maximum time2 fudge value for NMEA refclock?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 26 11:26:39 UTC 2010

"Terje Mathisen" <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote in message
news:kmluh7-5ea.ln1 at ntp.tmsw.no...
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
>> Interestingly, on my own FreeBSD system I have no time offset fudge:
>>
>> server 127.127.20.1 mode 0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
>> fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1 flag3 1 refid PPS
>
> My setup works without the fudge, I just wanted to make the initial sync
> a little faster: Without it it first syncs to NMEA, then has to
> slew/step 300 ms in order to lock on the PPS signal.
>
> OTOH, this seems to depend on exact OS and NTP version numbers, I
> haven't needed the same tweaks previously...
>
> Terje

Thanks for your comments on the location and the weather.  Trondheim has
turned rainier today, but she's off for the Tall Ships at Kristiansand
tomorrow.

I've not seen that slow initial sync behaviour on any of the systems here.
By the time I've typed ntpq -p <node> on a remote monitoring PC both are
locked.  As you say, it may be version and OS dependant.

Cheers,
David