[ntp:questions] API for step time server notification

Thierry MARTIN thierry-martin at ifrance.com
Mon Jul 26 15:52:17 UTC 2010

On 26 juil, 16:39, unruh <un... at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-07-26, Thierry MARTIN <thierry-mar... at ifrance.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Is there any API that can be used in a program to be "notified" if a
> > "step time server" event occurs?
> > As far as I could see, it is "only" logged.
>
> You could have something read the logs and notify your program. Or if
> you are on Linux/BSD you could run chrony, which does not step.
> Mind you if ntpd is stepping after having been running for a few hours,
> something is seriously wrong, and needs fixing.
>

> > Thanks in advance for your answers.
> > / Thierry

Unfortunately, watching the logs does not fit my need.
I will try and explain what are my constraints.

My program is doing network packet acquisition on several links and
needs to sort them - based on the timestamps.
Also, many network measurements are very badly affected by time
stepping forward or backward.

This explains why I'd like to be notified of time steps. (It is easy
when time is going backward, but not in the other case).

I think ntpd ajusts time by step if the system looses connection to
ntp sources for a while (I set up the step threshold to 1s on the ntp
server).

Anyway, thanks for your help.