[ntp:questions] API for step time server notification

Thierry MARTIN thierry-martin at ifrance.com
Tue Jul 27 08:28:36 UTC 2010

Hello,

Thank you for this debate :-).

Well, to my mind, it is a matter of fact that time stepping can occur
on a server having time managed with ntpd.
(My running ntp configuration leads the service to stop in such
conditions, and I have already seen that.)
I agree, it's probably with some special configuration and under
specific circumstances.
By the way, time step is the solution that suits my need (so chrony is
probably not the answer :-)).

Still, the need to be notified is here (at least, for me).

Also, as far as I could see in the source code (version ntp-4.2.2p1),
there's "only" a log message when a time step event occurs (cf
ntpdate.c:1427).
Unless someone points me to another "handler", I think I will have to
use some home-made workaround to detect this event (CLOCK_MONOTONIC vs
CLOCK_REALTIME may be my friends for this).

Once again, thank you all!

And have a nice day.