[ntp:questions] API for step time server notification

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Jul 27 17:57:03 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-27, Thierry MARTIN <thierry-martin at ifrance.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for this debate :-).
>
> Well, to my mind, it is a matter of fact that time stepping can occur
> on a server having time managed with ntpd.
> (My running ntp configuration leads the service to stop in such
> conditions, and I have already seen that.)

Uh, manybe you should tell us what the special config is. No it should
NOT step. Something is very wrong if it is stepping.

> I agree, it's probably with some special configuration and under
> specific circumstances.
> By the way, time step is the solution that suits my need (so chrony is
> probably not the answer :-)).

How in the world is stepping ever the answer except on initial startup (
and chrony can be told to step then as well)? Note that chrony also
converges to the right time many times faster than does ntp and keeps
time 2-3 times better than does ntp (Lichvar as reported cases where
chrony was 20 times better than ntp).
.

> Still, the need to be notified is here (at least, for me).
>
> Also, as far as I could see in the source code (version ntp-4.2.2p1),
> there's "only" a log message when a time step event occurs (cf
> ntpdate.c:1427).
> Unless someone points me to another "handler", I think I will have to
> use some home-made workaround to detect this event (CLOCK_MONOTONIC vs
> CLOCK_REALTIME may be my friends for this).

I suspect that your time would be better spent finding out why your
server is stepping.