[ntp:questions] Which version of Linux works best?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Mar 10 15:25:45 UTC 2010

Yes, I know it's one of those low long is a piece of string questions, but
I'm now considering a dual-core Intel Atom system, which is "Compatible
with Linux" according the the very minimal blurb I have right now.  If the
system is to be used purely for NTP with Linux as a serial-port GPS/PPS
stratum-1 server (and, yes, I know dual-core isn't needed for that, but I
might want to boot Windows-7 64-bit occasionally), and considering that I
know very little about Linux, which version of Linux would the group
recommend?  Does it make any difference as far as timekeeping is
concerned?

Two secondary questions:
- how much better might FreeBSD be than Linux?  Any actual measurements?
- and one for Bill, how much better might chrony be than official NTP?
Does it have a preferred Linux, or even freeBSD?

The system would /not/ be in a temperature controlled environment.

Thanks,
David