[ntp:questions] Which version of Linux works best?

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Wed Mar 10 16:03:16 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> Yes, I know it's one of those low long is a piece of string questions,
> but I'm now considering a dual-core Intel Atom system, which is
> "Compatible with Linux" according the the very minimal blurb I have
> right now. If the system is to be used purely for NTP with Linux as a
> serial-port GPS/PPS stratum-1 server (and, yes, I know dual-core isn't
> needed for that, but I might want to boot Windows-7 64-bit
> occasionally), and considering that I know very little about Linux,
> which version of Linux would the group recommend? Does it make any
> difference as far as timekeeping is concerned?

I'd use Ubuntu, simply because those systems are very close to
'maintenance-free', i.e. the OS takes care of pretty much all
patching/updates/install etc.

> Two secondary questions:
> - how much better might FreeBSD be than Linux? Any actual measurements?

Sub-us vs 1-5 us, but only with special hw and a non-standard
motherboard crystal freq source.

> - and one for Bill, how much better might chrony be than official NTP?
> Does it have a preferred Linux, or even freeBSD?
>
> The system would /not/ be in a temperature controlled environment.

In which case you should probably be happy with sub-10 us performance
anyway.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>