[ntp:questions] How to debug GPS PPS?

xyz-2041 xyz2041 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:18:06 UTC 2010

On Mar 9, 8:07 am, Thomas Laus <lau... at acm.org> wrote:

Hi Tom,

> The Oncore 0 andPPS0 entries are not doing anything for your ntp
> installation.  They both show a '0' in the reach column.  This means
> that NTP is not using either of those two devices for timekeeping.  You
> can delete them from your configuration files.

Yeppers.  I think I'll leave them there to remind me of that
bad serial port.

>You are also not getting
> any benefit from your broadcast client.

Hmmm.  I use it to keep my other FreeBSD and Windows
boxes in sync.  Seems to be working for me.

>There are many references in
> the NTP Documenatiuon about broadcast client configuration, especially
> in the area of authentication and key exchange.

Yep.  It's only broadcasting to my Local Area Network.  I
figure if they get inside my firewall, timekeeping would be
the least of my worries.

>I hope that you also
> include some Internet timeservers in your installation to check the
> sanity of yourGPSclock.  The recomendation is to have at least 4 time
> sources, including yourGPSclock.  That lets the majority outvote a
> 'falseticker'.

Yeppers, again.  I did forget to mention that I have other
Stratum 1 servers that I use for that very purpose.

> Tom

Thanks, again.