[ntp:questions] Which version of Linux works best?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Wed Mar 10 22:28:25 UTC 2010

unruh wrote:
> On 2010-03-10, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:

>> If you don't already know Linux well already then I'd suggest
>> FreeBSD as being a more solid base than a Linux distribution.

Only lightweight Linux I've tried recently is Slackware which
seemed in many ways similar to BSD but required too much effort
to get a working desktop with packages I wanted. Ubuntu has
near all packages I need but isn't as easy to customise, eg
install chrony and ntpd gets removed (I know there will be a way
to have both installed at same time).

> I do not think there is any difference.

>> I have had chrony running on NetBSD but as with ntpd can't get
>> most recent versions to install/run. It should be ok on Linux
>
> ah. Could you please let the chrony people know what the problem is.
> Bugs need to be and can be fixed. Have you tried the latest release
> which came out about 1 month ago?
> chrony.tuxfamily.org

There seem to be lots of modifications to syscalls etc required
for it to work on NetBSD, if I had such a modified version it
might compile and run ok (same goes for recent versions of ntpd).
Chrony version I tried was 1.24-pre1. That seemed to compile ok
but there were problems with name lookup, logging failure via
chronyc from different NetBSD system running v1.23, and reported
offsets suddenly jumping from < 300us to > 100ms for short periods.

My report to chrony-dev list, along with links to mrtg graphs,
never made it to the list, and although I can send that again,
my systems are all now setup back to using ntpd.

David