[ntp:questions] Which version of Linux works best?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Mar 11 04:44:55 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-11, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:59 PM, unruh wrote:
>
>> ?? How would we know, especially since David Mills says they can
>> detect implimentations like chrony and get them out of the pool.
>
> That seems to be a strange thing for David Mills to say, as Ask Hansen
> is the pool maintainer. Do you have a reference as to where David said
> such a thing?

Based on my quick review ...

The pool code appears to use the Perl Net::NTP module to query the
individual pool servers (with the same control messages used by ntpq).

An incomplete NTP implementation (i.e. one that does not respond to NTP
control messages) will never achieve a high enough quality rating to
warrant inclusion in the pool zone.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>