[ntp:questions] Which version of Linux works best?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 11 15:02:17 UTC 2010

"Miroslav Lichvar" <mlichvar at redhat.com> wrote in message
news:20100311124036.GA22872 at localhost...
[]
> I did a NTP vs chrony comparison last June with GPS 18x LVC in an
> office environment, clock drift was moving in about 0.8ppm range. Here
> are distributions of PPS samples received from gpsd:
>
> http://fedorapeople.org/~mlichvar/chrony/chrony_vs_ntp.png
>
> With recent chrony, NTP and kernel versions the results might be
> different though.
>
> --
> Miroslav Lichvar

Miroslav,

Thanks for that, a most interesting comparison, and thanks to everyone for
their input.

I've recently switched the old (2005) FreeBSD system back on, to see how
well in performs in my own environment.  From what's been said, I rather
suspect that were I to go for a more modern, faster, Intel Atom system,
any improvement in accuracy I might get could be swamped by the
temperature changes in the room.

There's also, I will admit, a slight doubt about the effort involved for
the benefit to be gained.  With Windows, I am quite happy, and
configuring, using or testing NTP is no problem.  With FreeBSD is seems
that the old PPS atom driver has gone, and I may need to configure yet
another driver - gpsd.  The number of variants of Linux doesn't help - I
only need a command-line or Telnet interface.  And remembering how long it
took to recompile the kernel last time, and the amount of help I needed to
know how to do that, also fills me with doubt.

So I suspect that the performance I'm now seeing from Windows (well within
100us) may well be "good enough" for me.  Perhaps if I get more free time,
and a little more income this year, I may get a paperback-sized Intel Atom
box and see how it does.  At least some do have serial ports!  And I would
be most interested to hear of anyone who does configure such a device.

Cheers,
David