[ntp:questions] GPS 18 LVC (Ground Wire Question)

Alby google at empire.org
Tue Mar 16 03:21:47 UTC 2010

On 15 Mar, 15:07, "David J Taylor" <david-
tay... at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "Alby" <goo... at empire.org> wrote in message
>
> news:b3ad75d2-08e5-4ac0-9c1f-81ad31174212 at g26g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> []
>
> > I still plan to wire it up to the ground, but I'm just double checking
> > that I'm not going crazy. Does everybody else
> > only have 2 Black Wires?
>
> Sensible choice.
>
> Some Garmin cable has three blacks, and some two.  It might even be that
> the 88 has two, and the 18X three.  I have all mine wired to ground and
> the end of the cable, and I should have really checked with a meter first
> to see whether they were all wired to ground in the GPS itself.  I
> innocently omitted this from my Web page:
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#usb
>
> Cheers,
> David

 Thanks David. Just the man I wanted to get an update from, since I'm
actually following
your website for my build. Below I've included a picture of the wires
coming out of my
Garmin GPS hockey puck.  I'm pretty sure I have the 18 and not the
18x, but what mine
says on the back is (Garmin GPS 18 LVC, 5m).

 So can I assume the extra thin black wire is just an additional
ground wire?

http://mustang.empire.org/garmingps18.jpg