[ntp:questions] GPS 18 LVC (Ground Wire Question)

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 16 19:03:45 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-16, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
> Alby wrote:
>> (Garmin GPS 18 LVC, 5m).
>>
>> So can I assume the extra thin black wire is just an
>>  additional ground wire?
>
> One black wire is the power common,
>  another black wire is the data common,
>  the third black wire is a shield drain.

What is a "shield drain" and how do you know this? It is just off the
top of your head, or is there some more authoritative source for this
info?

(anyway, it sounds like there is nothing to prevent you from tying all
grounds together, unless the power comes from a source with a separate
ground from what the data ground is tied to, which could give bad ground
loops. In that case I would assume that you would tie the shield ground
to the power ground.