[ntp:questions] Need some help determining why ntpd won't start

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 03:28:46 UTC 2010

On Mar 18, 11:45 pm, JeffSilverm <jeffsilverm at gmail.com> wrote:
> receive: at 5452 10.0.105.23<-10.50.2.10 flags 19 restrict 5d1
> receive: at 5459 10.0.105.23<-10.17.50.54 flags 19 restrict 5d1

"restrict 5d1" means you have a restrict line applying to your sources
which includes:

kod notrap nomodify noquery ignore

Your foot will carry your weight more effectively if you remove
"ignore".  Also, FYI, "kod" does nothing without "limited" (perhaps
there should be a warning issued to that effect).  See:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/accopt.html

Incidentally, one of the changes I have pending for ntp-dev right now
is to add the ability to provide override restrictions for servers.
That is, if you had my unreleased build of ntp-dev with:

restrict default kod limited notrap nomodify noquery ignore
restrict source kod limited notrap nomodify noquery

it would work, because the latter restrictions would be used for your
sources regardless of their IP addresses.

Cheers,
Dave Hart