[ntp:questions] VM host not snyching time

Ramesh cfmx07 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 19:39:55 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am trying to synchronize the time of my VM server with ntpd. I have the following configuration.

And in the /etc/ntp.conf, I have the following line:

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1.
server time1.server
server time2.server

Whenever I have this line, the erver is not able to synchronize its time... So far as I understood, this line prevents other servers using this machine as a time server. And the second line says to allow localhost to use as time server.

But why do I need to use its own time server when I have specified to use time1.server and time2.server ? ( firewall for tcp and udp ports 123 is open)

However, when I replace the first line of the configuration with the following line, it works..

restrict default kod nomodify notrap noquery

But with this, i am allowing other servers to use this server a ntp (which I wouldn't like to).

Why this machine tries to use ntp server of its own (to snyc time) and why it is not working though i have the entry "restrict 127.0.0.1" ??

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.