[ntp:questions] Quick sync between two computers not connected to the internet

Joe Wulf joe_wulf at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 20:19:16 UTC 2010

Group,

With due humbleness and respect to both 'cnoyes2' (the original author) and Steve Kosteke---I would think he (cnoyes2) isn't concerned with whether the clocks are monotonic (whatever that is).

I understand and fully agree that unmanaged clocks, which are not
sync'd to an authoritative time-source will drift, and it can get
horrible and other bad things can happen.  Got that.

What seems to get lost, and admittedly not explained very well---hence
my attempt here.... is that there are many situations these days where
folks are developing, working, troubleshooting real-world problems in
environments big and small that are deliberately isolated (and rightfully so)---and
just don't have the luxury of an authoritative time-source  --  but just want time to 'work' and be sync'd.  They are not going to get an authoritative time-source.  They are not knowledgeable/experienced
with ntp (raises my own hand high here).  They need meaningful technical advice (ideally from this community), broken down into layman's
terms, on how to establish 'the best that can be possible' in a private
environment knowing it will never get to have an authoritative
time-source.

In other words---how can we broaden folks knowledge of ntp, in enjoyable ways, tell them first what they CAN do and solve their ntp problems along the way?

R,
-Joe Wulf
 Senior IA Engineer/ISSE
 ProSync Technology Group, LLC